Lilac-Breasted Roller @Hahnemühle_USA @ZebraPenUS #Birdmas

As you might guess, the Lilac-Breasted portion of this bird's name comes from its bright lilac-colored breast.  The ‘roller’ portion  comes from their mating dance. They put on aerial displays, diving and rolling in the air.  They are found in the sub-Saharan Africa and the southern Arabian Peninsula.

I had intended to do a full color drawing, but had to people to see, places to go.  I was doing the initial blocking in of the background with a purple fineliner pen, and thought - it looks kind of neat with just the purple and hints of blue.  So, biven my time-constraints, I decided to just leave it as it is.  I may color in more later, but I haven't decided.

I also took advantage of the fact that Sarasa Fineliners are not water-proof.  This means you can get a water-color effect with them, by laying down the colors and wetting them with a brush. For the bird, I did layers of coloring with the pens and wetting, then layering again.

 Done with Zebra Pen Sarasa Fineliners in a Hahnemühle Watercolor Book



Adapted from a photo on Pixabay 

Comments